June 8, 2010

Wedding Cake 1

Howdy! so, as you can recall, I told you the other day that I would be making a cake this week. It is a tasting wedding cake for my Event Planning and Management class for which we are pitching a wedding plan for a fake couple this coming Thursday. That sounds confusing, I know but that's what we're doing! planning a fake wedding. The cake is vanilla sponge with chocolate buttercream and fresh strawberries filling and vanilla buttercream icing (this is the buttercream I made last weekend).

I made the sponge yesterday and the recipe was courtesy of my dearest Martha Stewart. The cake came out sooooo spongy, soft and smooth. Then I cut it to the size I wanted it (a little less than 6 inches in diameter), I waited until the chocolate filling thawed and started filling. I've learned from the many hours spent watching shows like Cake Boss, that you have to pipe a dam on your bottom layer so that your filling stays in place and it doesn't drip out of the sides. This is really important because the filling is darker than the icing so you want to keep the chocolate in check!

Then I filled the dam and put slices of fresh strawberries on top of the buttercream. After that, I just placed the other layer on top and the cake was almost done! I haven't iced it yet because the vanilla cream was not thawed yet.

I promise to post pictures of the finished cake tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment