June 5, 2010

Buttercream: check!

The title of the post reminds me of the episode of Friends when they leave for London for Ross' wedding and Monica is talking to herself while packing! Guess we're both nuts!

But aaaanyways.... I finished both buttercreams: the vanilla and the chocolate. It's the first time I've ever done this so I was a little scared at first but it turns out it is really really easy!! After I added the butter I thought I'd messed up because it wasn't thickening but it is just so magical how it just becomes this thick cream out of nowhere, not to mention a delicious cream!

The recipe said to add 3 ounces of semisweet chocolate but when I did it was still too light so I added almost an ounce and a half more to make a more chocolaty color. It turn our the tiniest little bit of chocolate goes a long way.

Does anybody have any ideas on what other flavors I can make?



Chocolate Buttercream (for vanilla don't add the chocolate, instead add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract)
Makes 2 1/2 cups
3/4 cup sugar
3 large egg whites
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Directions
Combine sugar and egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Place over a pot of simmering water; whisk until hot and sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Transfer bowl to mixer stand, and beat on high speed until cooled, 7 to 10 minutes.
Replace whisk with paddle attachment, and set mixer on medium-high speed; add butter, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, until incorporated. Beat in chocolate. If not using immediately, refrigerate buttercream in an airtight container for up to a week. Bring to room temperature, and rebeat or stir vigorously before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment